Monday, May 16, 2016

Walking a dog: tips and tricks

Just about all of us have walked a dog. And if you haven't then let me tell you, it's no easy task. I've walked many many dogs. So I've compiled a list of tips and tricks to walking a dog. With no further ado,

Tips and tricks to walking a Dog:

• Be the boss.
Don't let your dog walk you, be dominant. Show your dog where to go. If your dog starts to jerk or pull, pull lightly on their leash and say "Heel".
• If your dog stops suddenly:
Now I have one of the laziest dogs. I swear. She walks ten steps and stops. When this happens, I pull on her leash and say "Go". She's got this recognized and knows to go.
• Take breaks.
Yes yes, if your dog starts to pant, take a break in the shade. Now don't do this frequently, or they'll think this is a routine. When I walk my dogs we walk down our road to a creek, take a quick break and walk back. This has became an wonderful routine :)
• Bring water.
Bring a disposable water bowl, and plenty of water. Be sure to give your dog water when you stop for a break. I always use bottle water that way I can put it in a lightweight tote.
• Bring treats.
If your dog walks the complete walk without tugging, reward them with a small treat.
• Hold the leash close.
If this is your first walk, then this is a must. Keep the slack so your dog can't jerk.
The first time I took my dog walking, I have her very little slack. But the second time I have her plenty of room. Now she's an old pro.
• Give it time!
Honestly every dog is different. Yes it only took Dixie, my puppy two days to get the hang, but it took Muffin, my other pooch a few weeks. Be patient!
• Take your dog walking everyday.
This one is a must! Be sure to take your dog walking frequently.

I suggest NOT using a retractable leash. I used this with my first dog, and it just taught her that pulling and jerking gets her freedom. With all my other dogs I use a normal, plain, clip on leash. Also if your furry pal is very well, FURRY, I suggest using a harness. A harness has worked wonders with my furry dogs. They just slip the collars. Now my chihuahua prefers a collar though. But like I said every dog is different :)



Happy dog walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment